Thursday, April 15, 2010

Vector Illustration

This is an illustration that of did of myself. I used the program Adobe Illustrator to create this rasterized self-portrait used for a graphic design assignment. I really like the end result of this portrait because I think it resembles me quite well. The caption of "Life is beautiful-so capture it" I think describes the way I live my life. Everyone should live each day to the fullest!

Our graphic design assignment was to create a self-portrait that captured who we are. I chose to do an illustration of myself holding a camera. I think of my camera as a part of me. By including my camera in the portrait, it conveys my love of photography. Photography is my passion.

A camera also is relevant to the illustration because it was used in creating the image. I used a photograph of myself as a background layer in Illustrator. From the photo I took samples of tones from my skin and then used them as their own layers of areas on the photo. I traced the basic outline of my features with thin, black strokes for definition.The image is reduced and simplistic but has just enough detail to add depth.


My goal is to get into illustration of children's books. I love to first capture images of my illustrations with my camera and then use my skills in Illustrator and use the photo I have taken as a guide for my illustration. Using this technique, I can make take the compositions with my camera and turn them into illustrations with Illustrator. I just received an offer to illustrate a series of children's books and hope to bring their stories to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment