Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Julia McGrath


http://juliaswatercolors.com/

Julia McGrath is a local artist that is well known for her beautiful watercolor paintings. Her delicate brushstrokes and color pallets are her trademark. Her paintings are illuminated with light. Julia’s paintings portray a quiet peacefulness. Julia is very good at capturing the beauty in ordinary things.

Julia has been a huge inspiration to me as an artist. Growing up I spent a lot of time with Julia, aspiring to be like her. She had an art studio above her garage where I would admire her paintings. She also introduced me to furniture painting, which I spent many years doing.

This painting was done up at my families cottage. The painting was done from the view out of our cottage window. I thought it was interesting that Julia chose to paint the cottage next door when the view from the next window was of a beautiful inland lake. I suppose Julia recognized the unique composition that the little purple cottage would create, with our colorful towels on the line.

The painting of the purple cottage turned out to be a sought-after piece of Julia McGraths and it is obviously one of my favorites because of the memories it brings. I also really admire Julia’s painting of water. She has several paintings of ponds. The aerial view of the water captures the reflection of the surface of the water and the color and beauty of the fish and plants with in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment