Friday, April 16, 2010

Oakland University Senior Thesis

I just came from our school's senior thesis and wanted to be sure to comment on the work that I saw. Sadly, I was only able to stay for half of the students presentations but I walked the gallery and saw all of the work in it's entirety. I must say that Oakland University has a number of very talented and well-spoken artists. I was very impressed with the workmanship in all of the work. I was also very impressed with the articulation of the artists when speaking of their work.

One artist's work was a series of amazing stenciled and spray-painted compositions. These compositions are brightly colored with contrasting tones. The images portray different parts of the world and seem to be politically motivated. I was a bit confused with the message behind each painting. Overall, I was overwhelmed with the paintings' ornate detail and layering and translucency of color.

Another work that I really thought was effective was a series of feminine paintings done by a fellow student. The series consists of several multi-media paintings. These paintings are of high contrasting colors of different statements made about woman. One painting is of a woman's torso with different cords and circuits connected to her womanly parts entitled "The Bionic Woman." Another is a bold, reduced image of a woman's gaze.

The Senior Thesis Art Show was very inspiring. It was helpful for me to see what I will have to face in the near future. I was very impressed with the knowledge of these students. It made me excited to know that our education is important and is essential to us in building skills for our art. I feel very fortunate to be getting such an influential education, inspired by so many.

No comments:

Post a Comment