Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Art of Tattoos


I think that the art of tattooing is amazing. I really appreciate the detail and precision of the art. The tattooing process possesses physical as well as emotional elements. This permanent art form is can be cathartic but can also be disastrous if not done by an a trained professional. Overall, tattooing is not for me, but I can appreciate the art done on others.

I love tattoo artist Kat Von D. She is covered in amazing tattoos and body art. Kat is perhaps one of the countries most well-known tattoo artists, and deservingly so. She has her own television program featuring her tattoo salon and the work that she does. Her work is incredibly detailed and realistic. She does very beautiful portraits.

The process that those getting tattoos go through is very interesting. Most recipients seem to have a story of inspiration for their tattoos. Many times, tattoo artists act as counselors, by listening to their clients' stories and helping them commemorate loved ones. Tattooing is more than art, it is an emotional process. The physical process of tattooing is painful but seems to be therapeutic as well. The humming and vibration of the tattoo gun is somewhat soothing.

The permanency of tattoos also intrigues me. I have never gotten a tattoo myself because of its permanency. I wish I were more daring but my practical mindset always overrides my urge to get tattooed. I guess never liked a tattoo design enough to have it on my body for a lifetime. The image of me as an old person, with a sagging tattoo always deters me. I have to admit, I am envious of those that have the guts to get tattooed.


I like this image but am not sure that it is real. Can a tongue really be tattooed? It wouldn't surprise me.

1 comment:

  1. No it is not real... You can't tattoo a tongue with that detail and color...

    ReplyDelete