Sunday, February 21, 2010

Western Speghetti

I know that I have been posting a lot of stop-motion photography work but it is only because I am so memorized by it. It is such a unique and creative art. I keep coming across more amazing videos that are so fun to watch. I have discovered that the PES group seems to top most of the stop-motion pieces that I have seen when it comes to this genre of work. This is also evident by the countless awards that PES has received.

In most of the PES group’s work, they use ordinary objects in unexpected ways. I this particular short film, different household objects are used to simulate the cooking of a spaghetti dinner. The creators have such an incredible way of imitating the boiling of water using bubble wrap, slicing post-its like butter, and squishing pincushions like tomatoes. I love the way that they use multi-colored pick-up sticks as the dry spaghetti and how they turn to colored rubber bands when they are cooked. PES is so innovative.

It is so interesting to think of the exhaustive work that went into making this very short film. The process seems to be very similar to clay-mation work. It takes the compilation of so many progressive still shots to create the effect of smooth movement. The process of stop-motion photography seems so primitive yet is so complex; I think that this is one of the reason it intrigues me.


I have never created a stop-motion photography piece but I would really like to sometime soon. I think I have been discouraged because I don’t think I could possible think of anything as creative as I have seen from PES or any of the other artists that I have discussed previously. PES is so entertaining and in many of there short films they use a lot of humor and sarcasm. PES’s films are unlike any others and are such a pleasure to watch. Stop-motion photography is such a unique art.

1 comment:

  1. don't every get discouraged by "more successful" people....

    try to find ur own voice, work hard and honestly, and see what u can get...

    ReplyDelete