Monday, February 8, 2010

Fun with a Scanner

This image in one that I created using a scanner, myself, and superman ice cream cone. It was inspired by faceyourpockets.com which uses a scanner to create images. I attempted to get creative by using different textures and colors. The texture of the taste buds on the tongue is particularly detailed. It is a lot of fun using the scanner in an untraditional way. The scanner can create very unique and interesting images in a way that is difficult to achieve in any other way.


It was very fun playing with the effects that a scanner can create. I was trying to scan my nephew's little hands. He had trouble staying still during the scan and the movement of his finger created a distubing effect. In the scan, because he moved his finger, the scan gave the illusion of the finger being severd from his hand. I thought that this was an accidental achevement. The scanner really picks up the textures of his hands differently than a photograph would.

In this scan, I was experimenting with the effect that distance from the scanner has on the appearance of the image. Her lips were placed directly onto the scanner so they are very detailed and in focus. The further away from the glass of the scanner that her face falls, the more out of focus it becomes. I think that because not all of the image is in focus that it places emphasis on the lips. I like the softness of the majority of the the image. I think that this image leaves the viewer confused and intrigued that sets a quiet mood.
In this scan, I really wanted to capture the color and texture of these dying asparagus. The scanner was able to pick up great detail that an ordinary photograph would not. Scanners seem to have a great macro capability that only a camera with an expensive macro lens could capture. If you look closely, you can actually see the goo that is on the rotting tips of the asparagus. I think that the vibrant color and textures of the asparagus are exaggerated by the black cloth in the background.

1 comment:

  1. good!

    but I think u need to start placing urself out there in the world.... interact with these interactive sites!

    ReplyDelete