Sunday, February 14, 2010

http://www.miauk.com


Warning this site may cause seizers! This website is most unusual. It is very colorful and bright in a way that looks over the top and tacky. This is what first thought until I started looking into who M.I.A. really is and what she represents. She is a very interesting, multitalented artist with a lot to say.

M.I.A. is a singer, song writer, rapper, fashion designer, music video producer, and graphic desinger from England. When viewing M.I.A.'s music videos, fashion, and graphic design, her striking style is apparent and is carried through them all. I think it is pretty amazing that one woman can posses such versatile talent.

M.I.A.'s website is very random and looks almost like a preteen explosion of gaudy color and graphics. Each page uses florescent colors that flash like a strobe light. This defiantly makes viewing the site somewhat difficult. Her raw graphics and creative style reflect the european culture. To me, it almost seems like her style is reflective of the early nineties because of the colors and graphic technology of the time. I feel like M.I.A. is using elements of the past for her own purpose and identity.

M.I.A. is truly an authentic artist, which I really rescpect. She catagorizes her musical style as "other" because it is one of a kind. She incorporates, poetry, politics, rap, techno (just to name a few) into her work. She is known for her influential style and for this was listed in Time Magazine's "100 most influencail peole" in 2009. I especially like M.I.A.'s song Paper Planes.

1 comment:

  1. u should really look into her biography..... she lives in England but that is not solely her background (I believe it is pakistani), which is quite different... she also has an interesting family history... her choice of the term "other" is actually grounded in identity and gender politics actually... look her up more closely..

    M.I.A. is an interesting but rare artist, in the way she has creative control over her production.... unfortunately most people we know do not have that, because of talent mostly.... a lot of famous people r produced by committee, following careful research on trends and public opinion survey...

    my question to u is the following... would u want to be more like M.I.A. or Britney Spears in the visual arts? how would u get there?

    ReplyDelete