Monday, March 1, 2010

What is New Media???




I Think that this youtube.com video describes the complicated realm of "new media" very well. Though this video is a bit cheesy, the creator is participating in "new media" while discussing it, which is kind of ironic. The style video reminds me of the old program Bill Nye the Science Guy and is very interesting. I like that the creator is using a free source such as youtube.com to promote his work and find subscribers.

It is very cool that anyone can have a platform to share their ideas with the world. I think that is the idea behind new media. In the past, people needed special equipment and privileges to air their ideas. Never has there been a way to reach the entire world, like using the internet. The whole notion of media has changed for better or worse. There is no turning back.

I am majoring in the study of new media arts. My field of study encompasses many things to do with art and the computer. I think that this area of study is endless and continuously evlolves faster than anyone could possibly keep up. I think this aspect of new media is very overwhelming but also very exciting. New media is a hugely growing field that has endless possibilities.

Web design is a major area of new media. I have taken several classes on web design and am still very overwhelmed by all that is entails. I always considered myself computer illiterate but am impressed wiht how with the more I learn, the easier it becomes. I really enjoy doing digital photography editing in Adobe Photoshop, editing and creating videos in Finalcut Pro, and learning graphic design in Adobe Illustrator and InDesign. I think that all of these arts are part of the growing new media field. I hope that what I have learned in the field of new media continues to grow and evolve into a future career.

No comments:

Post a Comment