Saturday, January 9, 2010

What is Art??? I Don't Care

Who cares what art is.... just make it.
Art is anything created with the intention of expression. Art does not have to be beautiful or even aesthetically pleasing, it is whatever an artist creates. I don’t think that art even has to be created with intention. Many times, art has a completely different meaning or use than originally intended. Art can be a therapeutic way of just creating something without intent, however that is not to say a viewer will not create their own meaning. So, I guess some meaning can be conveyed from all art.
Art is very subjective. What art is good and what art is bad all is in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes it really bothers me when I see certain pieces of art that seem meaningless or stupid. I have to remind myself that the work is an expression of something within the artist, which makes even the most irrelevant works important in some way.
Art is a difficult thing to define. Art mostly conveys emotion and feeling. Art is a form of expression. It doesn’t have to be a substance or even something that can necessarily be seen. It is a sensory experience. Art can be music, dance, writing, poetry, sculpture, anything. Much of art has purpose and function such as woodworking, pottery, charts,..etc. Being talented in something creative is an art in itself.
Art that is created for the purpose of expression alone, is what I consider Fine Art. Fine Art is created from a concept and is done aesthetically so. Aesthetics are the main component of fine art. Fine art conveys taste, beauty, and talent. When I think of Fine Art, I think of work that is displayed in museums.
I feel that everything that I say to describe art is contradictive of the next. Art is a contradiction in itself. It is not something I can define. It just is.

1 comment:

  1. it is a riddle and a paradox, right? distinguishing art and fine art may be helpful...

    one other question to u:

    what makes someone an artist? that might help or add to the problem..

    ReplyDelete